BRAXTON W. CAMPBELL, one of
Cincinnati‘s most successful manufacturers, was born in Covington,
Kentucky, November 22, 1851, the seventh son of Morgan A. and Sallie L.
(Love) Campbell. His father was born in Kentucky; his grandfather, William
Campbell, having removed from near Danville, Virginia, about 1796, and
settled in the town of Paris, Bourbon County, Kentucky, where he conducted
the business of saddle making.
Mr. Braxton W. Campbell received his
education at the public school of Burlington, Boone County, Kentucky. At
the age of six he was left a double orphan by the death of his father and
mother; and after spending his boyhood in Kentucky, went to Cincinnati.
Ohio, and began work as an office boy at five dollars a week. At the end
of a year he was put on the road as a travelling salesman and was very
successful. At the age of twenty-three he went into the saddlery business
as an employee and travelling salesman, and at twenty-six established the
firm of Perkins-Campbell Company. Cincinnati, of which he is President.
Mr. Campbells firm is the largest
manufacturer of harness and saddlery in the world. It has extensive
branches in Chicago. Milwaukee and New York City, and during the European
war, 1914-1917, did an immense business in army supplies for the Allies,
furnishing saddles and harness to the value of more than $8,000,000.
Mr. Campbell is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal church, and is much respected by his fellow citizens
and employees. He is an active member of many societies, clubs and
fraternal orders-—the Caledonian Society of Cincinnati, the Masonic
fraternity, and social, business, political and religious organizations
too numerous to mention.
Mr. Campbell married. March 13.
1884, Miss Hattie DeGarmo. They have two sons—Wendel B., born June 10,
1886, and Milton D., born October 5, 1888—both associated with their
father in the Perkins-Campbell Company. Mr. Campbell’s address is 2333
Kemper Lane, Cincinnati, Ohio; his business address is 622-626 Broadway,