|The United Daughters of the confederacy is the outgrowth
of many local memorial, monument, Confederate home associations and auxiliaries to Camps
of Confederate Veterans which were organized after the War Between the States. It is
the oldest patriotic organization in our country because of its connection with two
statewide organizations which came into existence as early as 1890; namely the Daughters
of the confederacy..in Missouri and the Ladies Auxiliary in the Confederate Home in
The National Association of the Daughters
of the Confederacy was organized in Nashville Tennessee September 10, 1894 by Caroline
Meriwether Goodlett of Nashville and Mrs. Anna Davenport Raines of Georgia. When the
organization held its second meeting in Atlanta, Georgia in 1895, The name of the
organization was changed to the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
The objectives are: historical, benevolent, educational,
memorial and patriotic to: Honor the memory of those who served and those who fell in the
service of the Confederate States. To preserve, protect, and mark the places made
historic by Confederate valor. To collect and preserve the material for a Truthful
history of the War between the States. To record the part taken by Southern Women in
patient endurance of hardship and patriotic devotion during the struggle and efforts after
the war during reconstruction of the South. To assist the descendants in receiving
In 1898, President William McKinley, a Union veteran, asked
that the North share with the South the care of the graves of the the Confederate soldiers
and designating a section at Arlington National Cemetery and 267 bodies were reentered at
Arlington. William Taft agree the Daughters of the Confederacy may place a statue at
the Confederate section.
The government allocated funding for a Confederate memorial
which now houses the permanent headquarters of the American Red Cross Society in
Washington DC..The organization places memorial wreaths on the birthday of General Robert
E. Lee, President Jefferson Davis, Massing of the Flags at Jefferson Davis monument
in Richmond VA. The tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Confederate monument at
Arlington National Cemetery are decorated on Veteran's Day.
Jeremiah Bell Howell, born 1827 in Lewis County VA, served
as a Braxton County Home Guards and enlisted March 20, 1863 at Frankfort by Col. Wm. L.
Jackson for a period of three years. He was a 2nd Lt. in the 19th VA Cavalry.
He was registered on the Roster of Commissioned Officers. On March 12, 1864, he was
taken prisoner and confined at the Post of Clarksburg, surrendering to Capt. Harrison at
Jeremiah was a strong man and after the war and his
release, returned to his family in Lewis and Braxton County. He was a man of the
court of law and a preacher and deacon of the Primitive Baptist Church..He married Jane
Fisher in Braxton County, they raised a large family. Jeremiah died at Webster
County WVA 15 May 1900.
Click here to
read a talk given by June Murray Wells, President General