Search just our sites by using our customised search engine

Unique Cottages | Electric Scotland's Classified Directory

Click here to get a Printer Friendly PageSmiley

William and Louisa Anderson
Part I - Early Days in Scotland, 1812-1839 - Chapter 8


Leaving Dalkeith—Attendance at Sessional School, Edinburgh - Last Communion at Ford—Glasgow—Galashiels—Farewell Meetings

The remaining portion of the Autobiography is simply a transcript of his Journal.

Tuesday, Jan. 1.— Contrary to my usual custom, retired to rest last night before the year expired. My slumbers did not hinder Old Time from moving onwards with his usual speed, and already one day of the New Year is almost gone. This is probably the last New Year's Day that I shall see in my native land. This year will probably be the opening up of the most important period of my life. May the Lord be with me in all places whithersoever I go to bless me and to do me good! May His presence go with me to the far distant land! May His grace make me instrumental in advancing His glory, and in promoting the temporal and eternal advantage of my fellow-men!

Saturday, 5.—Sixteen years have now passed away since I stood by my father's deathbed and beheld him yield up his latest breath. Could I have an interview with him to-night, I would be disposed to say with Cowper—

"Time has passed But hardly with me since I saw thee last."

1 Adapted. Cowper writes—

''Life has passed
With me but roughly since I heard thee last."

Were he alive, how happy would he be to learn that I have dedicated myself to the very service to which he so frequently and so fervently devoted me! The day of my leaving my native land would have been to him one of the happiest in his life. May I ever prove myself worthy of such a father!

I have just penned a few stanzas on his death.

Sabbath, Feb. 3.—No sermon at Ford. Went to Edinburgh to St. Paul's Chapel A.M. The first time I have ever worshipped in an Episcopal chapel. Was accompanied by Mr. James Tod. Was delighted with the music. I heard a very good sermon by a young clergyman from "Now is the accepted time." Went to Bristo Street P.M., where the Lord's Supper was dispensed. How cold, how very cold, appeared the organ and choir of the forenoon, when in the P.M. about 1400 or 1500 voices were lifted up in the service of song! The contrast almost moved me to tears.

Sabbath, 24.—I owe a thousand thanks to an unknown friend, "W. P.," for a pamphlet entitled "Observations on the Motives and Encouragements to Active Missionary Exertions." I read it this morning on my way to Ford. My spirits had almost begun to droop of late, but thanks be unto God for putting it into the heart of "W. P." to send me that book yesterday. I feel quite revived. I feel happy—unspeakably happy—that I have offered myself to, and have been accepted by, the Scottish Missionary Society.

Midnight, Saturday, March 16.—Have just been perusing the Memoir of Mrs. Judson. [Mrs. Ann H. Judson, first wife of Dr. A. Judson. "Memoirs," by J. D. Knowles.] What anxiety to benefit the souls of those around her! What energy! What privations ! What sufferings ! What prayerfulness ! What faith ! Bright is her crown now and loud her anthem of praise. What a sweet character, too, was Harriet Newell! May I not be slothful, but a follower of them who through faith and patience are now inheriting the promises!

Sabbath, 17.—Have had a pleasant Sabbath. My old favourite, Mr. Law, assisted Mr. Brown in the dispensation of the Lord's Supper. I sat at the second table with my friend John Scott, who has also offered himself to go as teacher and catechist to Jamaica.

Saturday evening, April 6.—Released this evening from my service in the establishment of John Gray & Son, by negotiation between Dr. Wm. Brown and the Messrs. Gray, as I require to spend a few months at the Normal School previous to my departure for Jamaica. Friends all very kind—and many a little present has been handed to me during the last few days. I have been in the employ of Messrs. Gray since Whitsunday 1834.

Monday, 8.—Rejoicing in what I feel to be a sort of emancipation. Spent yesterday and last night at Ford. Visited Mr. Porteous's school, Pathhead, this A.M., and in the evening attended a soiree given me by my friends in the establishment of Messrs. Gray. Mr. John Tod, in his own name and in that of his colleagues, presented me with a copy of Dick's Lectures oil Theology, in four handsome volumes. Mr. Tod's address, and also some of the others, were exceedingly interesting and encouraging.

Saturday evening, 13.—This has been a strange kind of a week to me. On Tuesday went to Edinburgh. Sauntered about the city gazing on its wonders till 7 P.M., then (by mistake) embarked on a luggage boat on the Canal. Was on the Canal in no pleasant company till 4 A.M. Wednesday, when I disembarked at Redding Bridge, and reached my sister's house at Shielhill shortly after five. With my brother-in-law visited Falkirk on Wednesday P.M. Spent a good while in the Secession Church and its burial-ground. Spent the night at my sister's. Left Shielhill on Thursday A.M. Walked to Linlithgow. Visited its Town House, Church, and Royal ruins. Left at 2 p.m. in canal boat for Edinburgh, and came to Ford in the evening. On Friday tried my hand at an old occupation—almost forgotten—and delved in my aunt's garden in the a.m.

Saturday, 20.—Enrolled to-day as a pupil in Mr. Wood's Normal Class, Sessional School. Deeply interested in the procedure of the school. Delighted to sec that the catechetical system, in which Mr. Wood excels, is the very plan which I have been following out for years, in my own poor way, in Ford Sabbath school.

[In a letter from Old Calabar, of date Nov. 9, 18S5, to Mrs. James Duncan, Edinburgh, Mr. Anderson makes a reference and pays a tribute to his honoured teacher, Sheriff John Wood. The account of the later life of John Wood, under his assumed name of "John Wallace," after his mysterious disappearance from Edinburgh in April 1840, is entitled "The Mystery of Easthampton," and is embedded in an article, "A New England Colony in New York," by A. A. Hayes, in Harper's Magazine, August 1S85. Mr. Anderson writes: "My heart was moved to its depths a few weeks ago by reading an article in Harper s Monthly about a man who figured greatly in Edinburgh fifty years ago as a paragon of teachers. . . . In these days he was John Wood, Esq., Sheriff of Peeblesshire, amateur teacher of the Edinburgh Sessional School. He left Edinburgh after I went to Jamaica. . . . There was a mystery connected with his disappearance from Edinburgh, and I often longed to know what had become of him. The article in Harper explains all. I for one owe a debt of deep gratitude to John Wood. Ifl have had any success in teaching, I owe it very much under Providence to him. Had I known when I was in America in 1S76, and again in 1877, where his grave is, I would certainly have visited it."

The Edinburgh Sessional Daily School was opened on 29th April 1813, having been instituted for the instruction of the children of the lower classes <>f society in the arts of reading, writing, and arithmetic. See Account of the Edinburgh Sessional School, by John Wood, Esq. Edinburgh : John Wardlaw, 1st ed., 1828. The school was situated near the Mound.]

Sabbath evening, 21.—My first Sabbath's residence in Edinburgh is now near a close. It has been a busy day, and I trust not an unprofitable one. At 9 A.M. attended Mr. Wood's Sabbath morning class. At 11 went to Nicolson Street Church, heard an eloquent lecture by Mr. Johnston on John ii. 18-end. Went to Broughton Place P.M., and heard Dr. John Brown on Isa. lxv. 21-end. Have just returned from Mr. Wood's Sabbath evening class. I have drawn water with joy to-day from the wells of salvation.

Tuesday, 30.—Attended this P.M. the Annual Meeting of the Scottish Missionary Society. The report and addresses were very interesting, and bore chiefly on the work of the Society's agents in Jamaica. Feel stimulated to increased diligence in preparing myself for usefulness there.

How highly favoured am I now! I cannot be sufficiently thankful for my present opportunity of acquiring knowledge both sacred and secular. My chief business at present is to receive instruction and learn how to communicate it. More and more delighted with Mr. Wood and his method of teaching.

Wednesday, May 1.—Glad that my friend Mr. John Scott [Formerly a gamekeeper under the Duke of Buccleuch.] has been accepted by the Society for Jamaica. He has come to Edinburgh to attend with me the Sessional School. He is to be my fellow-lodger in West Richmond Street. I thank God for such an associate.

Sabbath, 26.—Mr. Scott and I have received an addition to our number—Mr. Buchanan, son of a deceased minister in Canada, having been accepted to go out with us to Jamaica. After serious consideration, all of us have agreed to unite ourselves to Broughton Place congregation and to wait on Dr. Brown's ministry while we remain in Edinburgh.

Saturday, June 8.—Have attended the meetings of the United Associate Synod each evening this week. My general feeling that of disappointment. My early imaginings of Church Court procedure, founded more on Rev. iv., v., than on Acts xv., have been anything but realised.

Monday, 10.—Walked to Ford on Saturday afternoon. Left it yesterday morning at five o'clock. Felt very much on leaving it. Many a time did I turn round and gaze through bedimmed eyes on my aunt's humble dwelling. Anticipated the time when I must take my farewell survey of the lovely village of woods and waters. Sorry to leave, yet feel satisfied that I am doing so in a good cause.

Went to Albany Street Chapel yesterday A.M. Heard Mr. Freeman from Madagascar. At the close of the sermon (from Zech. iii. 2, last clause) a native of that island ascended the pulpit, and Mr. Freeman put a few questions to him (in his own tongue) in reference to the grand truths of the gospel, which—at least through the interpreter were admirably answered. His last question was, "How do you feel in regard to the present state of your country?" The youth's reply was, "This overwhelms me," and he burst into tears. Many of the audience were much affected. I rejoiced in my prospect of going to Jamaica, but wished yesterday that Madagascar had been my destination. Lord, pity Thy poor suffering remnant there. Let Thy people be edified and multiplied in that distracted island.

Tuesday; 11. "He ye also ready." Mr. Henry Elston— an amiable young man from England—stood beside me in the Normal class on Saturday. He was at the Sabbath class in the evening of Sabbath—forty-eight hours ago— and now he is in the eternal world. I have not heard what the malady was which has done death's work so speedily.

Saturday, 15.—At Mr. Elston's funeral this PM. He was interred in Greyfriars Churchyard. " H. E., 21," on the coffin lid. His girlish widow followed his corpse to its last resting-place. Her heart seemed nigh bursting. May the widow's God be her comforter and strong tower!

Monday, July 1.—On Saturday at 2 p.m. took boat at Newhaven for Fife. Debarked at Charlestown, where I was kindly received and lodged by Mr. Wm, Addison, to whom I had a letter of introduction from his sister Jane, who is in the service of the Messrs. Gray. Had a pleasant saunter in the evening in the neighbourhood of Charlestown. Walked to Dunfermline yesterday morning, accompanied by Mr. W. Addison, to hear once more my old favourite, Mr. Law. It was the sacramental.

[For some time, while he was in Dalkeith, there had existed an attachment between Wm. Anderson and Jane Addison. lie desired to take her to Jamaica as his wife ; but her relatives, being afraid of the Jamaica climate, which had then a very bad reputation, refused to allow her to go. Whether this visit of Mr. Anderson's lo Charlestown had anything to do with the question of marriage between him and Miss Addison, I cannot say. Although the idea of a union was abandoned, friendly intercourse was kept up by Mr. Anderson with Miss Addison, who never married, and who died in 1869, and with her family to the end of Mr. Anderson's life. When Mr. Anderson asked me to write this Memoir, he referred with emotion to this attachment and what il cost him to give it up. lie added that he told Mrs. Anderson of it, and that he thought none the less of him for having loved another.]

Sabbath of the district. . . . We came down in the P.M. to Limekilns—heard three table services there, and also Mr. Johnston's concluding address, and the evening sermon by Mr. Johnston of Nicolson Street, Edinburgh. . . .

Saturday, 27.—We—i.e. Messrs. Scott, Buchanan, and I —were at tea the other evening at James Marshall, Esq.'s. Mr. Lillie, catechist designate from Broughton Place Congregation to New Broughton, Jamaica, boards at Mr. Marshall's. We met Rev. Mr. Scott from Demerara and Mrs. Scott (who has not yet been abroad). From Mr. Marshall's remarks (he is one of the Directors of the Scottish Missionary Society) we infer that we may leave this country earlier than was once intended. Feeling says, "Stay as long here as you can"; but if called on to leave all dear to us on earth at an earlier period than once contemplated, I trust we shall be able to say heartily, "The will of the Lord be done."

Thursday, Aug. 1.—How quickly the time flies on! But not an hour is lost. We attend morning classes, forenoon classes, afternoon classes, and evening classes. This is doubtless a glorious day in Jamaica. How gladly will her sable sons and daughters be celebrating their first anniversary of freedom! I expect to be rejoicing with them on this day twelvemonths.

Attended an interesting meeting last evening in Nicolson Street Church. Messrs. Leitch and Glen were designated as missionaries to India. . . . Mr. Alexander preached an animating discourse from Neh. vi. 3: "I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down." Mr. Cooper addressed the young missionaries at great length, and Mr. Johnston afterwards addressed the congregation. The Lord of the harvest go forth with these youthful labourers! And may the lesson impressed on them be also impressed on my mind, that in answer to friend or to foe who may endeavour to lead me to relax exertion for the Master's sake, I may be ready to say, "I am doing a great work," etc.

Monday, Aug. 5.—Went to Ford on Saturday P.M. Slept but little. Got up early yesterday morning and walked to the tent. Earth's sweetest spot is that to me. In tent pencilled as follows:—

Holy and delightful morning! I have long looked forward to this day with feelings of deep and solemn interest. This is in all human probability my last earthly Communion Sabbath with beloved friends here. Oh, on future third Sabbaths of July and first Sabbaths of August —should I be spared to see any more of them—my heart shall often be here, though my bodily presence be far away. If I ever occupy this tent again—but no! all dreams away! I feel that I am bidding my native land a last farewell. But Christ is in Jamaica as well as here. May the joy of the Lord be my strength there, and may I be instrumental in bringing some of the sons and daughters of that island to the feet of Jesus!

Saturday, Aug. 24.— Left the Edinburgh Sessional School to-day, after four months' diligent attendance on Mr. Wood's able instructions. There is much in the system but more in the man worthy of our admiration and imitation. My brethren and I have also had some opportunity of seeing Niddry Street School, which is under the able superintendence of Mr. A. Young, author of "There is a Happy Land " and some other pieces.

Glasgow, Saturday, Aug. 31.—Spent Wednesday night at my sister's at Shielhill. Came to this city on Thursday expecting to attend the Normal Seminary here for a few weeks. There is some misunderstanding, however, as the gentlemen in management tell us that they do not receive pupils for a shorter period than six months.

Sabbath, Sept. 1.—Heard Dr. Heugh this forenoon —fine sermon from Luke xi. 13 with Matt, xviii. 19, 20. Heard Mr. King in the afternoon on Ps. lxxxv. 6. Heard Dr. Wardlaw versus Presbyterianism in the evening.

Wednesday, 4. Mr. Scott and I visit the Seminary on public days and ramble about at other times. . . . We have been at Paisley to-day. What a contrast between the quiet of Edinburgh and Dalkeith, and the turmoil and hurry of Glasgow and Paisley! We went to Walkinshaw to visit Mrs. and Miss Denniston. Miss D. has the management of a box of clothing to be sent to Mrs. Waddell at Cornwall, Jamaica—the station to which Mr. Scott is destined.

Monday, 9.—Left Glasgow on Saturday, and came to my sister's at Shieihill. Heard Mr. Rutherford yesterday A.M. and P.M., and entered on public Sabbath service by delivering a missionary address in the evening. Spent last night at Mr. Rutherford's. He and Mrs. R. have been exceedingly kind to me.

Wednesday, 18.—Well, one trial is past—I felt it to be a trial. Our Dalkeith friends gave Mr. Scott and me a farewell soiree last evening in the White Hart Inn. It was to me a trying and solemn occasion. Mr. Cuthbertson from Dunfermline asked the Divine blessing on the meeting. George Gray, Esq., occupied the chair. Mr. Elliot addressed Mr. Scott and me in reference to our duties in Jamaica. His address was very impressive, instructive, and affectionate. Mr. Scott replied first, and I followed. Mr. Scott spoke fluently and impressively—I could hardly get on at all. Mr. Sandy in a very fervent prayer commended us both to the Divine guidance and protection. Mr. Alexander (Congregational), Edinburgh, delivered a most eloquent address. Mr. Robson, Lass-wade, and Messrs. Brown (Secession) and Waldie (Relief), Dalkeith, followed. The Assembly Room was filled with a deeply sympathetic audience.

Tuesday, 24.—Delivered my address on Missions in Mr. Sandy's church, Gorebridge, this evening—after which Mr. S. presented me with a copy of Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Bible in six volumes, subscribed for by several of my old schoolfellows and friends in the neighbourhood.

Sabbath, 29.—At Gorebridge all day. Delivered an address on Total Abstinence to a large assemblage in Mr. S.'s church in the evening.

Monday, 30.—Left Gorebridge in the morning, accompanied by Master George Sandy. Walked to Killoch-yett, the residence of my old schoolmaster, Mr. Keddie. Dined at Craigend with Mr. and Mrs. Peak. The object of my journey was chiefly to see my birthplace, Buck-holmside, and the church at Galashiels which my father had a hand in erecting. Was kindly received by Dr. Henderson, Mrs. H., and Miss Hay. Got the keys of the church, and went through it with great interest. My young friend and I sang part of the 2nd Paraphrase in it. Spent the night in Dr. Henderson's.

Tuesday, Oct. 1.- On Dr. H.'s recommendation, went to see .Melrose Abbey. Had a note of introduction to Rev. Thomas Williamson. We took Abbotsford on the way, and gazed with interest on its wonders. Were kindly received by Mr. and Miss Williamson. Returned to Galashiels in the evening.

In the morning Dr. H. took me to the house in which I first saw the light. It was with strange feelings that I entered it and gazed around. Strange feelings came over me, too, when I entered the church yesterday. I had been familiar with the ground-plan from boyhood, as it—as well as that of Liddisdale had been in my father's possession from the time the church was built. I felt, when in such a sanctuary, as if I were surrounded by the spirits of departed friends. Dr. H. took me to the churchyard, but the sexton could give no information as to the resting-place of my maternal grandfather and grandmother, and uncles and aunts, and sister Elizabeth, who died at Ruckholmside.

Wednesday, 2.—Left Galashiels with the purpose of visiting three sisters of Mrs. Cowan, Carron Hall, as it seems I am appointed to that station. We dined and had tea at the house of Mrs. Lee, Ferniehirst—one of Mrs. C.'s sisters. Came to Nethertown to Mrs. Stewart's to spend the night—Mrs. S. being another sister of Mrs. C.

Thursday, 3.—After breakfast at Nethertown went to Middletown, Mr. Darling's, to dinner—Mrs. D. being another sister of Mrs. C. Mr. D. kindly made provision for giving us a drive to Herviston Lodge, near Gorebridge. We were in time for tea at Mr. Sandy's. I came to Ford in the evening very much delighted with this my first pleasure excursion.

Tuesday, 8.—Was present at an exceedingly interesting meeting of the United Associate Presbytery of Edinburgh. The theme of converse was "A Revival of Religion and the Best Means of its Attainment." Was introduced at the meeting by Mr. Elliot to Rev. John Simpson from Jamaica.

Wednesday, 9.—Breakfasted with Mr. Simpson, who kindly gave Mr. Scott and myself much interesting information about Jamaica and about the stations which we are to occupy.

Sabbath, 13.—Gave a farewell address in the P.M. to my beloved Sabbath scholars at Ford, Pathhead. A trying hour to them, to my fellow-teachers, and to myself. My last Sabbath at Ford nearly gone. Oh, what privileges I have to account for!

Thursday, 17.—This evening has been one of the most solemn and interesting of my life. A valedictory meeting has just been held in the church, Mr. Elliot in the chair. After his introductory address, I bade farewell to pastor and friends, amid the tears of many. Mr. Scott followed me. Mr. Simpson then gave a good deal of interesting information about Jamaica. Messrs. Cooper and Sandy also addressed the meeting. At the close Mr. Elliot presented me with nine excellent and useful volumes as a parting gift from the Sabbath scholars.

Saturday, 19.—At Henton visiting two dear old fellow-servants now residing here—James Knowles and his wife Agnes Taylor. Lived over our Fala Mains winter evenings again—

"When with our whole young happy hearts
We loved and laughed away the time,
Nor thought how quickly all departs
So cherished in life's early prime,
Long, long ago! "

[Mr. Anderson kept up acquaintance and occasional correspondence with these early friends as long as they lived. In a letter to Mr. Knowles written from Calabar in August 1867, he says: "It sometimes seems to me but yesterday since she was blooming Nancy Taylor—the object of warm attachment on the part of Fala Mains herd laddie! Do you and she remember any of that callant's tricks? the pulling out of the nails by him? etc. etc. He was really sorry when he saw you both take that matter so much to heart.

"I should have enjoyed an evening by your fireside exceedingly—when we might have lived our youth over again. Never mind—let us hold on in the right path, and we shall yet meet where all the nonsense of the past shall be forgotten, and where all that was pure and holy shall be revived."

I am indebted for this and other letters to Mr. W. Robertson, Edinburgh.]

Sabbath, 20.—At Haddington a.m. Heard Air. Hogg (but pushing Edinburgh-wards did not hear all the sermon). At Tranent P.M. Heard Mr. Parlane there. Delivered my missionary address in his church in the evening.

Monday, 21.— Paid my last visit to Ford. Sad to part with poor old aunt. I did not say that this was my last visit, but I felt it and she felt it. She came to the end of her house—not far from my loved beech tree— and said when we shook hands, "If we never meet in this world again, it will be no matter if we meet in a better!" She gazed after me up the brae till I was out of sight, and I need not say that I turned round many a time to look at her and Ford—feeling it to be the last time, but also feeling that I was in the path of duty.


Written 14th October 1839.

Farewell to Ford, dear lovely spot,
Sweet village of the vale;
Whate'er may be my future lot,
Thy scene shall never be forgot;
Though wafted by the swelling gale
To distant lands, my thoughts shall dwell
Full oft in the sequestered dell.

The beechen tree that casts its shade
Around my former home,
The green where I in childhood played.
The glen, the riverside, the glade,
Where I in boyhood used to roam,
The tree on which I carved my name,
Ah! simple pathway thus to fame!

The stream that turned my water-mill,
The ground where playmates met,
I bear in mind, and ever will,
And oft I'll muse upon you still.
My heart dwells fondly on you yet.
Strong in this heart is memory's power,
O'erwhelming is the parting hour.

Farewell, my pastor and my friend;
Thy memory I'll revere.
May Heaven's best gifts on thee descend
In rich effusion, and attend
Thee through thy varied duties here!
And mayst thou wear in endless day
The crown which fadeth not away!

Friends of my youth, a long adieu,
Friends dearest to my heart,
I find it hard to part with you.
Affectionate remembrance true
Shall never from my soul depart;
Nor would I wish to be forgot.
Pardon the wish,—"Forget me not."

Friday, 25.—At Gorebridge saying good-bye to friends there. At Dalkeith in the evening, when Mr. Scott and I were presented with ten useful volumes each in Mr. Brown's Session-house. Mr. Chisholm was chairman on the occasion, and delivered a fine friendly address, to which we replied as best we could.

Sabbath, 27.—Heard Mr. Simpson in Mr. Brown's A.M. Heard Mr. Robson at Lasswade P.M. Took tea at Mr. Robson's, and was introduced to the two Misses Paterson, who are about to join their father, the Rev. James Paterson, at Cocoa Walk, Jamaica. Accompanied by both young ladies, went to Bonnyrigg evening, and delivered an address on Total Abstinence there.

Monday, 29.—Bade farewell to Dalkeith and loved friends there. Came to Edinburgh by ten o'clock railway coach.

Tuesday, 30.—Took farewell of Edinburgh, and came to Glasgow per Canal. Drowsy, having been up packing all my little property during the night.

Sabbath, Nov. 3.— Have been at the Normal School for a few days. Attended Greyfriars Church. Heard our old townsman from Dalkeith Rev. David King; A.M.—a beautiful lecture on part of John xxi. . . .

Monday, 4.—Went to Greenock to see the Christian, in which we are to embark next week for Jamaica. Met Captain M'Nielage, who seems to be a very pleasant gentleman. On leaving Greenock, got into the wrong boat, and got a gratis trip to Helensburgh.

Tuesday, 5.—A busy day receiving, reading, and writing farewell letters.

[One of these was to Mrs. Elliot of Ford, to whom he had written on 28th October, before leaving Edinburgh, excusing himself for not calling to take a private farewell, and thanking her and her husband for all their kindness to him. In his letter of 5th November, after acknowledging receipt of a kind letter from her, he says: "I feel wearying a little to get fully away. My heart is at Canon Hall amongst the little negroes. I long to be among them. I think now that I have no desire for fame, wealth, nor anything on earth, except that I may do some good before I leave it. Taking climate and all things into consideration, it will be my wisdom to have my loins always girt and my lamp burning—to be ready for an early grave; but I would not like to die till I shall have lived to some purpose. Oh, how much of life have I lost. What diligence is necessary to make up for what I have lost!"]

Wednesday, 6.—Mr. Scott and I took what we suppose to be our last rural walk in our native land. I have felt greatly depressed all day.

"What time my heart is overwhelmed, And in perplexity, Do Thou me lead unto the Rock That higher is than I."

Saturday, 9.—Came to Greenock yesterday, and slept on board the Christian. Messrs. Scott and Buchanan and I feel that we shall have a responsible part to act during the voyage in reference to "those that are without." I fear that a number of our fellow-passengers are of that class. Cleared out this p.m., and anchored at "the Tail of the Bank," near Greenock. Annoyed a good deal at the absence of my luggage, by mistake of some of our Dalkeith friends.

Sabbath, 10.—The most melancholy Sabbath I have ever spent — unless, perhaps, one among Nettlingflat heather in 1828. We did not get to church, and were informed that the captain might come on board at any minute, in which case we should sail at once. However, no captain appeared all day, and it was melancholy to hear the church bells ringing and see the churchgoers on their way to the sanctuary, while we were prisoners. I felt it a work of necessity to write a note in the morning to Mr. Chisholm, begging him to look after the forwarding of my luggage, for really I have little now in the way of clothing besides what I have on me. My heart was with my friends in Dalkeith and Ford the whole day. Every blessing rest on them all! Mr. Scott and I conducted social worship in the cabin in the evening. I sang verses 4 and 5 of 2nd Paraphrase, and read the 42nd Psalm. In private, concluded my first Sabbath on board by singing the 2nd Paraphrase, reading part of Gen. xxviii., reading Paraphrase 23 and singing the three last verses, reading Matt, xxviii. 18-20, singing Paraphrase 54, reading 1st hymn, "When all Thy mercies, O my God," etc., and singing" the three last verses.

Here ends the story of Mr. Anderson's early days in Scotland.


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus