Search just our sites by using our customised search engine
Unique Cottages | Electric Scotland's Classified Directory

Click here to get a Printer Friendly PageSmiley

Alastair Ian McIntyre's Mini Biography

Thinking back to my early youth I realise that I was particularly fortunate to have been given the opportunity to see much of the Middle East and to experience a life style that really no longer exists. It is this which has prompted me to develop this homepage as perhaps some of the folk I used to know might appear and say hello after all those years! <grin>.

BORN 1951
I was born way back in 1951, January 31st, in Glasgow. My folks decided that it would be better to introduce me to the world in Glasgow instead of Abadan, part of Iran. So.. having done the deed I was exported back to Abadan when I was six weeks old. I'd like to say I enjoyed my flight but to be honest I really can't remember it <grin>.

My Mother and myself in Abadan when I was around 6 weeks old!
My Mother and myself in Abadan when I was around 6 weeks old!


My Grandparents on my Fathers side showing my Father as a young lad.

A picture of my Grandfather on my Mothers side taken in the garden of our house at Croftend Avenue, Glasgow

A picture of my Grandmother on my Mothers side taken with my mother centre, and her sister Linda on left and other sister Anne on right

When I was 6 months old I had the dubious honour of being the youngest refugee when the British were kicked out of Iran. You can read a bit about this on BP's homepage where they mention the trouble they had back in 1951. I even got my picture on the front of the Scottish Daily Express :-). This was in the days of Anglo-Iranian Oil. I'm told that bullets were fired over my cot in the days just before we left so guess I was rather lucky as I'm still here! :)

My Father and I think this was him in his office in the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company in Abadan
My Father and I think this was him in his office in the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company in Abadan

My father was an accountant in those days and had been site accountant in Little Aden, now part of Yeman. He used to tell stories of his days there where they slept on the boat and then walked over a man made jetty of barges to get to shore. Later they progressed to a kind of tented village and eventually more solid accommodation came along. This was just after the war in 1946 but I've still got some excellent colour movie film of some of his time there.

My parents, John & Sybil McIntyre in retirement at Grangemouth.

After we were kicked out of Abadan we came back to Scotland where my father got a job with Wimpey building the then BXL plant at BP's site in Grangemouth. That was when we bought our house which is still in the family today.

After the contract was over we moved to Malta. At that time my father was working for Wimpey on a NATO project and we lived in Valetta in a block of flats overlooking the harbour. It was a tourists dream looking over the ancient harbour but I best remember the cheese cakes!

By this time I was 5 so do remember some of my days there. I remember going to the Tigne Army School and being met by the school bus with an Army sergeant in charge. I also remember the Palm Beach Hotel where I can say that there wasn't another building in sight.... later some friends brought back photos of the Hotel and it was surrounded by buildings. I also remember the Maratta Club... great gardens, basket chairs and tables on the lawn with white table cloths and people bringing out tea and drinks.

My class photo at Tigne Army School, Salema, Malta

Sounds great... just wish I'd been a bit older so I could have enjoyed it more. We left Malta after 2 years there when I was 5.5 years of age and my mother and myself went back to Scotland for 6 months while my father joined the Kuwait Oil Company. After the obligatory 6 months were out we joined him out there.


Me in Cub uniform in Ahmadi

I'm the goalie playing for the Anglo-American School team picked for an International match in Ahmadi, Kuwait in 1960

My Father, and I think this was in our house in Kuwait
My Father, and I think this was in our house in Kuwait

My Father was in the Masons and these were some of his Masonic medals
My Father was in the Masons and these were some of his Masonic medals

I used to go to the Anglo-American school in Ahmadi, Kuwait and had a decided American accent in those days. Mind you my Aunt Anne and Uncle Paul were Americans so at least I could speak their language :-).

Pictures of Aunt Anne and Uncle Paul

KOC was joint owned in those days by Gulf Oil and BP but field personnel were mostly Americans and hence my accent. The days at that school were excellent and I just remember having a great time. At 10.5 years of age I was bundled of to boarding school at Dollar Academy in Scotland. Of course there were howls of protest... not about boarding school.. but most of my friends were going to school in Switzerland and I wanted to go there!

I enjoyed my time at Dollar and I used to return to Kuwait during the Spring and Winter breaks but my parents took their annual leave during the Summer so they came over to Scotland then. We did have six months in Paris which was fantastic. I particularly remember the street shows where they played to the people in the buildings and we used to throw money down to them which they caught in a sheet. I also remember they had loads of miniature golf courses... of course we also saw all the usual tourist sites. I do well remember that at that time I liked tomato ketchup with everything... we had gone to this restaurant to have a meal and I'd ordered fish and wanted tomato ketchup... well the French not to be outdone made up a special tomato sauce for me.. not ketchup to be sure but excellent. That got me started on other sauces so you could say the French were responsible for improving my eating habits.

One of my visits to Kuwait co-incided with another threatened invasion of Kuwait by Iraq. I well remember the paratroopers coming out as I arrived back one day from school to find half a dozen of them greeting me when I got home. That's when I learned to play cards and do a few card tricks! <grin>. The paras got some time off to come into Ahmadi to get a rest from the sun... and get the benefit of air conditioned accommodation.

The guys had a really rough time there as they landed in the desert during the summer when it could be 130 F in the shade. Talk about frying an egg on the car bonnet is quite correct.. I did it! One tale I remember was the then Scottish minister of the local church was so horrified about their conditions that he spent all his money buying them soft drinks, etc. He was due to return to Scotland as his term was up and it was only by chance that it was discovered he had no money left. He was forced to take that days collection so he at least had something for when he got home... but that was all he would accept.

In the early days of Kuwait alcohol was allowed but during our years there it was prohibited. Of course, the folk that could brew their own were rather popular <g>. Mind you there was so much bad alcohol brewed that KOC turned a blind eye and let the labs do testing to ensure it was fit to drink. Very kind of them.. who says big industry doesn't care!

I well remember one flight back to Kuwait when I was sitting beside this man on the flight... he made out that he didn't know anything about the oil business so I was telling him all about gathering centres, and pointing them out as we came into Kuwait airport. Anyway he seemed quite happy to listen to me. Well some nights later we were off to the little theatre they had there when this chap comes up to me and shakes my hand and saying how nice it was to see me again. My father looked on in astonishment and asked how I knew him... turns out he was one of the main board Directors at BP in London :-) Of course I realised then that he'd just been very nice to a youngster on the plane. Funnily enough my father always said that working for BP overseas was like working for a different company when compared with working for them in the UK.

Kuwait was an excellent place to live but to show you how you were spoiled rotten... the local club.. Hubarra club.. had it's own swimming pool, indoor and outdoor picture houses, billiard room, dance hall, restaurant, etc. Well I remember as a 9 year old.. remember by liking for tomato ketchup.. well I'd just shout for a boy and order chips and tomato ketchup. Thinking back that was really being spoiled!

We had a cook called Paul.. actually that was his surname but that's what we called him. Paul was excellent and had his own accommodation area at the back of the house. He taught me to play football and showed me a few illegal tricks as well.. I even played in the traditional Scotland England game on New Years Day... I was the goalie! We won of course.. Scotland always won in our games.. quite unlike those adults! We used to get marched onto the field with bagpipes playing and the local Sheikh was always there with his family. Anyway.. Paul also got me riding a bike... I remember my father deciding he hadn't enough puff so delegated that training to Paul. Actually one good thing was that my father taught Paul to drive so he could take my mother around.. and as a result of that Paul got a job as chauffeur to an Indian General when he want back to Cochin in India. Paul left Kuwait at the same time my parents retired back in 1967.

Of course Paul was my pal so when the folks went out for an evening to the cinema and we figured something good was on we'd wait until they left. We'd then run to the cinema... it was convenient that there was a small hill outside the outside cinema so you could sit on the hill and watch the film.. you could hear it as well although not too well. Of course when it finished we had to race back to beat my parent returning... and of course they were none the wiser! :-)

Social life... well it was great! Think of a club and we had it.. yacht club, motor club, fishing club, model aeroplane club, Go-Kart club, archery club.. and on it went. There was never a shortage of things to do. I remember one day we got the chance to go out on one of the sea going tugs which escorted the tankers in. The small motor launch we went out in was almost sunk in heavy seas but we eventually made it to the tug. One of the most gigantic Persians I've ever seen just grabbed my arm and hauled me over onto the tug. It was like I was just a feather... he did the same to my father so we both made it onto the tug. I have to admit that we didn't think we'd have ever got on from the launch without that Persians help. Anyway we had a great time and I wasn't even the least bit sea sick. Actually the only time in my life when I did feel sea sick was on a ferry across to Denmark and it had stabilisers!

Oil of course was important and in Kuwait there was so much gas that they burned it off and so it was free. It seems daft but during the winter we really did need a gas fire in the house as it was real cold. The change in temperature was such that 130 degrees during the day could drop to 60 degrees at night and so it felt really cold. Of course if you'd just arrived from Scotland you felt like you were walking into an oven when the aircraft door opened.

My father was in charge of the computer dept at KOC and so my introduction to computers came early with big ICL mainframes.

My first computer with my father standing back right :-)

I remember that the room was huge... had to be air conditioned and had copper grids screening the windows. To think how things have progressed since is quite amazing. I remember my father talking about 4k of memory on his mainframe when he got an Amstrad PCW computer with 256k of memory as a present! <grin>.

Of course by being at boarding school and resident in Kuwait I never saw television, apart from an odd program or two, until I was around 17. This meant I came from a generation that learned to read, listen to music and attended parties instead of sitting at the goggle box. In Kuwait there were always parties on and of course as most people had a stay in cook it was rather easy to organise. Great times were had by all! The BBC overseas service was a must to catch up on what was happening... of course sometimes the reception wasn't that good which was highly irritating.

I've always enjoyed reading and while I read just about anything at all Science Fiction has always been a favourite of mine. Am very keen on Anne McAffrey and particularly enjoyed her Pern series (there is an newsgroup). I reckon to buy around 5 books a month and also subscribe to the Readers Digest Condensed Books. I think we've got every one since they started the series... my parent first took them and when they died I continued the subscription. In fact on their 100th issue they repeated one of the stories from the 1st book and I was one of the ones that complained about a repeat! <grin>.

Dollar Academy gave me a great education... I really enjoyed the school and all the facilities they offered. Being a boarder was actually quite easy... I was in Dewar House with a Mr Oliver as our house master (although I now understand it's now a girls boarding house). An excellent house and I have to say that I don't believe there was any bullying or such in all my time there. I'd certainly recommend the school to anyone thinking of placing their kids at a boarding school. The other good thing about Dollar was that it is in the country.. so as boarders we got the chance each Sunday in the summer to go off on picnic teas. The house provided us with appropriate food and off we would go. There used to be an excellent river running through Glen Devon and it had two excellent sizes pools where swimming was excellent. I remember taking a friend back there in later years to show her where we used to go and was horrified to see a reservoir had been built on the spot <sigh>

I was quite an athlete at Dollar... I well remember that a friend of mine, Ron Johnston, and myself would go in for the annual cross country race. We always finished last equal <g>. Mind you I don't know who made up the list but whoever it was did a very fair job in that in the first race I had my name at the top bracketed last equal and the next year Ron got his name above mine :-)

Well when I left school I joined WP & JA Scott, (now Scott Oswald & Co.) chartered accountants training to become an accountant. I had the grand salary of 350.00 pounds per year! When I left three years later I was on 480.00 pounds per year! I joined British Home Stores in Coventry as a Trainee Manager and had a fantastic social life. Can't say I enjoyed the work much but the social life was excellent... loads of parties.. I remember I stayed for a time in the top flat of a multi-storey building and coming back home at night got into the lift with a policeman.. who told me he had complaints about a wild party on the 12th floor.. what floor are you going to... Err.. 11th will do nicely! <grin>.

After my year with British Home Stores I joined Gallaher Ltd the tobacco manufacturers as a salesman. Now this was an excellent job in that I had been earning around 1350 pounds per year but this new job gave me 1450 pounds plus company car and free cigarettes! WOW! I was in the realms of luxury! <grin>. Actually I really enjoyed this job and spent lots of time down in Devon & Cornwall, all over Wales, North, South and West... and have to say that the Welsh are excellent people. Especially in the West and South... great people. Some of my best times were spent down there. I really worked all over England from the Midlands down. I was still living in Coventry at the time.

Anyway.. as I wasn't getting promoted fast enough I decided to turn my hand at selling insurance... well after getting people to buy cigarettes I figured it was now time to get them some life cover! :) I joined Hill Samuel Unit Life Services as a self employed agent and after around 15 months left to join Legal & General as they also allowed you to sell general insurance as well as life, pensions, etc.

I was just starting to get established when my father had a heart attack and when I went back up to be with my folks in Scotland I also discovered my mother was losing her eyesight. So.. I figured I should move home to help out... and not being able to transfer with Legal & General I sought another job and got the District Sales Managers job with Carnation Foods looking after the 6 man sales team in Scotland.

This is myself preparing a sales meeting in our garden in Grangemouth.

Had a great time with Carnation and this is where I got my first introduction to computers. It was during this time that my father retired for the second time as Data Processing Superintendent at BP in Grangemouth.

This was my fathers retirement picture that went into the local paper.


My father died September 1986 and got this write up in the local paper:-

ONE of the prime movers behind the establishment of Grangemouth golf course at Polmonthill has died.

Mr John McIntyre, 141 Bo’ness Road, Grangemouth was 77. He died suddenly at his home on Sunday.

A founder member of the steering committee formed to put the case for an 18-hole municipal course to be built in the area, Mr McIntyre went on to be the first treasurer of the club when it opened in 1973. Four years later, at the age of 68, he was made club captain.

A man who spent the early part of his career working for major chemical corporations, Mr McIntyre latterly worked for BP Chemicals in Grangemouth as superintendent in the data processing division.

Grangemouth club professional Mr John Black said: "John was a lovely person who worked long and hard to get this golf club established.

"He was always a man you could respect and trust. Grangemouth Golf Club members have a lot to be grateful to John McIntyre for."

Former club captain, Mr Norrie Wardlaw, said:. "John was one of the men who stayed in the background but always carried out his duties in a responsible and efficient fashion. His death is a sad  loss to the club.

"He will be greatly missed. I for one am very grateful for all his efforts. He was a fine man."

Mr McIntyre’s funeral was to Falkirk Crematorium on Tuesday. As a mark of respect the golf club lowered its flag to half-mast on Wednesday.

Mr McIntyre, whose wife Sybil died last year, is survived by a son. AIastair.

Crematorium Recipet
Crematorium Recipet

I was with Carnation for some 7 years and then the company was taken over by Nestle and we were all made redundant. It was at that time I decided to start my own computer business as I'd been working with computers for some three years and reckoned I could be a better dealer than most of the ones I'd visited. So.. off I went and started up my business...

At first I did some training.. then got an introduction to BP through an association I had with another computer company. That company went down the tubes but as I at least had done a good job in BP a guy there by the name of Bill Stevenson decided to take a chance and gave me an order for some software. Since that order I established my own company Almac Computer Services Ltd. in 1988 and things just continued to grow. I was doing mostly small jobs for them but they then asked if I could supply PC's and when I said I didn't actually have enough money to buy them for resale they helped me out with the first few orders my paying on delivery. That was a great help and this allowed me to establish credit terms and never looked back since... so thanks BP!

Craig Dunn, Vickie Mather and Alastair McIntyre
This is a picture of, from left, Craig Dunn, Vickie Mather and myself when we were working as a computer dealership. Vickie was the Office Manager and Craig Dunn did a lot of the support work and helped with the BBS.

Since then of course there have been many changes amongst which I started up a Bulletin Board Service (Almac BBS) with my then fellow Director John Wilson. We really started it with the view to helping our remote clients. They could upload a program they were having problems with and we could then fix it and put it back for them to download. It saved hours in travelling time!. The company was formed on
18 Jun 1992.

While we were browsing around in this new on-line community we noted a large public BBS in Scotland was looking for someone to run it for 6 months while the SysOp was off abroad on an assignment. We decided why not as it would increase our knowledge and give us experience of a public system. So, in short the chap arrived with some 300 floppy disks... his BBS! Well after a rather long time we got it all installed on our network and off we went. The service grew to be the largest of its type in Europe but of course the Internet made a rather big impact on it especially when the Web came into being :-)

Today I'm in the process of developing Electric Scotland which I hope will be a great place for Scots the world over to drop in and have a blether.  As at the year 2001 the Electric Scotland web site gets over 5,500 visitors per day with 94% of our visitors coming from outside the UK and mostly from the US and Canada. Our public message WebBoard has now been responsible for three marriages and there are lots of general friendships being made.

Toward the end of 2002 we've become the online home of the Scots Independent Newspaper which is Scotland's oldest political newspaper being started in 1926.  We now get over 12,000 visitors a day peaking at over 15,000 as at October 2002 so we must be doing something right. We got a mention in the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Newsletter, No. 14.1, Sept 2002, page 8. It reads as follows:
Electric Scotland now hold around 10,000 web pages on historical matters pertaining to Scotland, Scots and people of Scots descent and is the largest Scottish history site on the web.  It has now also become the online home of the Odom Library in Georgia and its Family Tree newspaper which is the largest genealogy publication in the world and the largest Scottish publication outside Scotland.

Recent Photos...

Here is me after my trip to the US at Christmas '97 in West Virginia...

xmas-97.jpg (21033 bytes)
I'm on the left with Donna, Buck & The_Innkeeper.

You can visit Donna, Buck and Amanda's homepage by clicking here and they also have a great mining section as well!

Alastair at Chrristmas in West Virginia
and this is me with my caffeine free Sprite which turned out to be neat gin hence my smile! :)

xmas297.jpg (11633 bytes)
and from left to right is me, Buck and The Innkeeper with Amanda in the front 
(Daughter of Donna & Buck)

And here is me at New Year 2000
And here is me at New Year 2000

And here is me in my messy office in 2001
And here is me in my messy office in 2001

Alastair in his new office in 2002
And here is me in my new home office in 2002

Became an FSA Scot in 2002

Myself and Ranald McIntyre, Christmas 2002
Myself and Ranald McIntyre, Christmas 2002

Receive Honorary Membership of Clan MacIntyre Association
Receive Honorary Membership of Clan MacIntyre Association
at the Scottish Weekend at Moultrie, Georgia 2003.
I was told this is only the second honorary membership they've awarded.

Sold my house July 2003 which has been in the family for 50 years

See some of my genealogy here

And see what happens when you reach the BIG 50!

Learn about my Jung Type Indicator

Submission to the Scottish Parliament on Tourism and VisitScotland
From Scottish Parliament Archives

Get in touch if you know me!


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus