Search just our sites by using our customised search engine
Unique Cottages | Electric Scotland's Classified Directory

Click here to get a Printer Friendly PageSmiley

The Ellen Payne Odom Genealogy Library Family Tree
Beth's Weekly Moultrie Observer Column - Week 81
(This appears here courtesy of The Moultrie Observer)

   Mr. Tom Vereen brought me a wonderful letter the other day.  It was written by Mr. Vereen's great grandmother McNair.  It is used here with his permission.
   We'll share the letter this week and most likely the next two weeks, too.
   The letter begins: When I Visited Moultrie - The First and Last Time.
   Perhaps there are none present why were residents of the City of Moultrie when I spent a night long to be remembered on that wonderful location, destined to be one of the greatest cities in Georgia - its age and opportunities to be fairly compared with other more favored.  It is necessary to tell you, as I think I should, when I was privileged to make this visit and the circumstances, which gave me this opportunity.  Perhaps old people are prone to be (???) (??? = Could not decipher Grandmother McNair's handwriting), still I am endeavoring at this time to make a long story short, and also to revive memories in your own experiences of the long ago - 57 years ago.  We were (???) skedaddling before General Sherman in his notable "March to the Sea" in that fateful year 1864 during the last days of November.
   We were cut off from, as I will explain later.  (I had been called to Crawfordville, Georgia, because of the serious illness of my mother.  My husband and little son hurried to me when General Sherman began to vacate Atlanta.)  So, we met in Augusta and started a return trip toward Macon about 3 a.m. on a certain Sunday morning while Tecumseh was amusing himself by burning houses and capturing horses and cattle on his southward line of march - which ended in Savannah along about Christmas time.  The wives worked all night after we reached Millen, but we were halted about ten miles south of the railroad bridge over the Oconee River (???) by news that Sherman had fired the bridge and we couldn't go to Macon by that route any longer.
   The tidings were distressingly gloomy as you may be sure.  The bridge had heavy pillars of masonry, but the bridge proper was constructed of rich pine lumber.  The smoke was black, and the turpentine made a blaze that nobody could forget - who saw it and who had journeyed so far, and could go no further in that direction, as did we.
   The train backed away - perhaps twenty miles - and we spent that Sunday night in those crowded railroad cars (there were no sleeping cars yet invented), and the lunch I had prepared for the trip was almost consumed.  We expected to reach Macon early in the morning of Monday and get to our refugee shack four miles out for our next meal.
   A drizzling rain set in.  We halted in a forsaken piney woods tract and there was nothing to buy and nobody to beg from.  There were four in our party, and the situation indeed was gloomy.  There was no place to lie down unless you stretched your aching limbs (between the two seats we occupied) on the dirty floor.  Next morning after that hot, steamy, rainy night, my husband secured some fried sweet potatoes from a cabin he found outside.  We debated periodically - pro and con - ever hour or so as to whether to go back to Crawfordvill or to pursue the trip to Macon via Savannah, Quitman and Thomasville and try to secure a conveyance to Albany - or Allbenny as the natives called it.  After morning light appeared, we concluded to try the last named route, because all we had in the world was in our refugee home, except the land we had vacated in Bartow County nearly a year before.
   Why the trip was so tedious to Savannah, I cannot now explain.  I have likely forgotten why we did not reach the Pulaski House until after dark, and there were said to be three (???) passengers on that train, and while we had a charming room appointed for us, we were graciously told the hotel had been literally eaten out during the days, etc., etc.
   We'll continue this true story next time!  Thanks to Mr. Tom Vereen for allowing us to share it with you!

Return to Beth's Index Page


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus