Places to go in
Aberdeen & Grampian
The present church dates from 1808AD, however the first St Peter's church was referrred to as far back as 1178AD. There are two bells in the bellcote one dated 1609 and the other 1809.
On the rear wall of the church are five ancient stones:
1 The central stone is thought to have once been the shaft of a Celtic cross dating from 900AD to 1400AD.
2 The top centre class 1 Pictish stone dating from between 6th and 8th century is known as the 'Rothiebrisbane Stone' which has an elaborate horse shoe symbol and another symbol of three circles inside a fourth circle.
3 On the left is the Class 1 Pictish 'Baldyquash Stone' which shows an elephant or 'Pictish Beast', mirrors symbols with crescent and 'V-rod' symbol .
4 On the right is an incomplete class 1 Pictish stone known as the 'Kirkyard Stone' it shows a double-disc and an eagle.
5 At the top is a 'Fluer-de-lys crown' which is thought to have been from the 13th century St Marys priory chapel which once stood near here.
At the rear of the church is stained glass window depicting a full size 'St Michael' - this was made by American artist 'Louis Comfort Tiffany'. This window was donated to the church by American friends of Percy's father to the memory of 'Percy Forbes-Leith' who died in the 'South African War' in the year 1900. In the window St Michael is poised above a wheel wearing a coat of armour; he is holding a flaming sword in his right hand and the banner of the cross in his left hand. This window is considered 'priceless' because the secret of producing the glass was a Tiffany speciality and has been lost with the death of the last member of the Tiffany family.
In the graveyard is the grave of 'Tifty's Annie' who died 19th January 1673 - re the famous ballad 'The mill of Tifty's Annie' which is about Agnes Smith the millers daughter and Andrew Lammie the trumpeter o’ Fyvie. The miller was unhappy about his daughters relationship with the lowly trumpeter and locked her up in the mill. The laird wasn't happy either it is said that he fancied the young lass. The trumpeter reacted to her imprisonment by climbing to the top of Fyvie Castle and blew his horn toward the mill. The trumpeter was sent away abroad, today you can see a small statue of him with his horn on the top of Fyvie Castle. It is said that Annie died of a broken heart. Her original headstone was replaced in 1859 with a 'Maltese Cross', and a small iron railing was erected.
At the front of the church is the impressive 'Forbes-Leith' burial area which has armorial panels and a very impressive angel statue.
On the outside of the church wall dated 1875 is a small polished pink granite fountain which reads 'Presented by captain A.H. Gordon 1875 John 13 – 14’
There is also a gravestone in the kirkyard which refers to 'Alexander Gray', farmer in 'Mill of Burns' who lived in the 17th / 18th century who died at the age of 86 and it states that he had 32 legitimate children to two wives. (S.Bruce Nov 2007).